Back in April we had the pleasure of Allegaeon’s latest album, “Formshifter” and to follow this up the guys have taken the time to give us a bit of background about themselves, the album and what lies ahead.
How would you describe the band? Where are you from? How long have you been together?
I’d say we are just a metal band that tries to incorporate various styles into our music whether its heavy, melodic, technical or very simple and groove oriented, in the end we just try and write cool songs. We are a northern Colorado based band and this line-up has been together for about 3-4 years.
Formshifter is your second studio album. Did you approach the writing and recording of it in a similar manner to your debut album?
Yes, basically. We didn’t have as long to really focus on the writing of this album and it incorporates mostly newer material whereas our first album was more of a mix of newer and older material.
Where did the inspiration for the album come from?
We get inspiration from everything. Lyrically we write alot about science and history, for the most part. Musically I’d just say we try to write stuff that we like and hope that it carries over to the fans
Can you give us a quick description of what each track is about?
1. Behold (God I Am) – basically how many religions preach the same thing but yet it has been the ignition to so much death and destruction. Just stating the irony basically.
2. Tartessos: The Hidden Xenocryst – Lost city of atlantis
3. A Path Disclosed – corporate hierarchy and practices
4. Twelve – A married couple that committed sexual homicides together and the judicial system that followed
5. Iconic Images – Essentially paying tribute to all that man kind has created
6. The Azrael Trigger – I believe multiple personality disorder
7. From the Stars Death Came – Asteroid based natural disaster
8. Timeline Dissonance – similar to Behold, ironies in religion
9. Formshifter – Comparing how people, just like our planet, constantly change their face (metaphorically)
10. Secrets of the Sequence – Genome sequencing
Who did you work with on the production and creation of the album and coverwork?
It was our idea and Colin Marks (who did our first album) made it for us.
Where there any particular challenges in writing the album?
Mostly just in the lack of time we had to prepare for it. We only had 3 months so it was a mad dash to get things as done as possible before the studio.
What has the response to the album been from your fans so far?
Id say like 99% very good. We have had alot of good reviews and sold a pretty good amount of the album so id like to think thats partly due to how pleased people are with it.
What are the plans for the rest of this year and moving into 2013?
Keep writing, hopefully hit the road and do as many music videos as possible
Are there any messages that you would like to pass on to the readers?
Just that if you havent checked us out go give us a listen
Formshifter is available now under Metal Blade Records.
Ezra Haynes – Vocals
Ryan Glisan – Guitar
Greg Burgess – Guitar
orey Archuleta – Bass