Before PlanetMosh packs our bags for this year’s installment of Tuska Open Air, we put our heads together and assembled a list (because everyone loves lists) of the 10 bands you must see at the festival. Aptly called The Tuska Ten, read on to see our recommendations.
Tuska Open Air takes place June 26th-28th in Helsinki, Finland.
Check for updates and ticket information here http://www.tuska-festival.fi/en
THE TUSKA TEN
10. The “supergroup” tag that UK bruisers Krokodil carry is very misleading. This band are ferocious live and are stronger than the bands from whence they came. If you’ve not seen Krokodil, get away from the beer tent and let them command your full attention.
When: Radio Rock Stage – Friday – 14.45
9. Swedish/AmeriFranco outfit Blues Pills, played a string of UK/Ireland dates last month and blew the audiences’ minds. Front woman Elin Larsson is one of the most captivating singers to emerge for years and their heavy mix of blues will be a welcome respite from the usual Tuskan barrage.
When: Inferno Stage – Friday – 17.30
8. Sweden’s prog wizards Opeth, continue their ascension towards world domination. Catch them live and be amazed by the technical beauty of their songwriting or be entertained by the between song banter from master of ceremonies, Mikael Åkerfeldt. Will you walk to the altar and accept their Pale Communion?
When: Radio Rock Stage – Sunday – 17.35
7. If you want your metal, fast, frenetic and more old school than the oldest school in Finland, then Enforcer are going to burst your earholes. They have a gallop that would make the largest herd of bison take note. Strap on your battle gear and make it your business to see Enforcer.
When: Club Stage – Friday – 17.35
6. Dare you sail close to the stage upon which The Sirens will beckon? Liv Kristine, Anneke Van Giersbergen and Kari Rueslåtten teamed to offer fans of female fronted metal a setlist featuring songs from some of the scene’s pioneers. You will hear songs from The 3rd And The Mortal, The Gathering and Theatre Of Tragedy as well as solo material. One for the romantics for sure!!
When: Inferno Stage – Sunday – 16.30
5. Steve Souza is back in Exodus and ‘Blood in, Blood out’ was the PlanetMosh album of the year 2014.. ‘Nuff said. Open up a fucking pit.
When: Inferno Stage – Friday – 19.40
4. The Swedish empire will once again invade Finland as the “Heroes” Sabaton bring their epic live show to Tuska. Expect memorable choruses, ultimate audience participation, riffs, explosions, fire, and Tanks!! yes, Tanks.
When: Radio Rock Stage – Friday – 20.30
3. It’s not every festival that can boast a WORLD première that so many people want to see. Abbath from Immortal has risen from the ashes of his former outfit and is now flying under a banner of his own name. Miss this show at your peril because everyone in metal will want to know what it was like.
When: Inferno Stage – Saturday – 19.25
2. Alice Cooper is the Macabre Postman who always delivers. Not having him on this list is punishable by guillotine. See his hellish nightmare unfold once again with one of the greatest stage performances in rock history as he closes Tuska Open Air in blackened style.
When: Radio Rock Stage – Sunday – 19.40
1. Amorphis have been celebrating the 20th anniversary of their classic melodic death masterpiece over the last 12 months. It’s a show that brings back so many fond memories to fans of Death metal and to join the celebration in Helsinki will be an unforgettable experience. The tales from the thousand lakes is coming home.
When: Radio Rock Stage – Saturday – 18.20